Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Inquiry Plan (part 3)

Now that I have progress monitored all of my students, I have been looking at their assessments and brainstorming ideas and strategies to use for instruction. Also, just returned from the CEC conference in Louisville, KY. This conference focuses on student with special needs and helps special educators learn more about how to better meet the needs of these students. I attended two different sessions about how to improve instruction for students with special needs in math.
I worked out perfectly, since i had just finished assessing all my students on their math IEP goals, I knew where my students were at and what they need to move forward in their math skills. Both of the session focused on how to help students focus on learning and create a more hands on approach to learning math. I have learned about a new multiplication strategy to teach to my 4th and 5th grade students that is more creative and hands on. I have also learned more about teaching math to students with special needs in a more exploratory way to help them learn by creating and doing. This will give them the opportunity to work together and learn about how and why instead of only doing what I (the teacher) says to do.
I am very excited to get back into my classroom after this holiday break and use some of the strategies learned that focus on the needs of my students based on the data i have collected from this project. I will be videoing my 4th grade group based on the assessments given and focusing on skills they need using new methods of teaching I learned at the CEC conference.

1 comment:

  1. I am glad that you can pair the assessment data with the information that you got at the conference. I am also glad that you feel energized to go back to teach and that the data analysis has given you a direction to go towards.

    ReplyDelete